Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Sunny Jim's Cave-La Jolla



I read up on Sunny Jim’s Cave before we left for our trip.  Many of the comments stated that it was an overrated tourist trap that was not worth the $5.00 per person entrance fee. Since it still seemed like a must- do in La Jolla, we took a walk to the cave store to judge for ourselves.


We handed over our ten bucks, and began the 145 stair decent. 


The climb down and back up again is not as bad as it sounds.  It is completely doable as long as you are free from any medical conditions that would make the stairs treacherous.


I disagree with all of the negative comments.  We loved the cave. It was a very cool, unique experience, at least for us New Jersey beach goers who aren’t accustomed to sea caves. I’m sure that the stairs, the lighting, and the deck at the bottom, require quite a bit of upkeep, upkeep that surely costs money, thus the entrance fee.

Our strategy was to get our $10.00 worth.  We lingered, admiring the amazing view, and taking a ton of pictures.





We enjoyed watching groups of kayakers paddle by.


  We remained while cycles of others came down, Clark Griswolded the view, snapped a picture or two (or for a few we snapped their pictures for them), and then climbed right back up the stairs. This was not a place to Clark Griswold, it required time to appreciate.  I’m not sure how long we lingered, but I still had a hard time ripping myself away when it finally seemed like it was time to move on.

I’m usually all about feeding my belly, but I also love to feed my eyes, and the cave was a delightful ocular snack


If I was in La Jolla, I would visit Sunny Jim’s Cave again.  I recommend it, but for goodness sake if you go, be sure to take some time to savor the view.



No comments:

Post a Comment